The Petchburi Bremen
Written by Stephen Burton
Depth 22meters ;Suitable for air, nitrox, tecnical diving
Specifications and Historical Records
- Built at:- Georg Seebeck AG shipyard, Bremerhaven, Germany. Yard Number:- 173
- Tonnage : 2191 gross tonnage Length : 88,5 m Breadth : 11,9 m Draught :7,3m
- Engine : 3-times expansion-steam engine Power : 1150 Hp, Speed : 12,5 nm/h, Crew : 34
- 24.09.l901 : Launching under the name PETCHBURI for the company North German Lloyd in Bremen.
- 28.10.1901 : Delivery to the North German Lloyd
- August 1914 : At the beginning of World War I the PETCHBURI was interned in Bangkok.
- 27.07.1917 : Confiscated by the Thais.
- New name: KAEO SAMUD
27.12.1920 : On a voyage from Bangkok to Swatow with rice on board she ran ashore near Koh Sichang (actually Koh Khraam. Ed) in the Gulf of Siam and sank.
Local Details of Sinking
The vessel sank after a fire and explosion in the engine room
Wreck Dive details:
This wreck is partially broken up and lies on the sandy bottom at 24m, in an area of very strong currents. The wreck should only be dived at ‘Slack Water’ and subject to plenty of Thai Naval activity. 3 Large eagle rays patrol the dive site and are often seen resting on the sands. Bow and stern sections of this wreck are now separated by a large sand dune. Sometimes, attempts to dive this wreck have lead to dive boats being ‘ushered off’ by Thai patrol boats, or the un-buoyed wreck just not being found. Avoid this wreck on spring tides or on days with many Thai Naval vessels patrolling.
Current GPS WGS84 Position in Chong Khram Channel at E100’48.852″ N12’40.092″
Revised GPS Position February 2012
E 100*49’01.9″, N 12*39’58.4″
From Charlie Frost
Telephone (+66) 0871426915
Bremen Pictures, info, GPS and historical research:- Steve Burton March 2005
Other German vessels seized by Thailand during WWI
- CHIENGMAI (1907) 1815grt -> DOEN SAMUD
- DELI (1900) 1394grt -> DEN SAMUD
- KOHSICHANG (1894) 2043grt -> SRI SAMUD
- LANDRAT SCHEIFF (1906) 1640GRT -> LAEN SAMUD
- PATANI (1907) 1819grt -> THONG SAMUD
- PETCHABURI (1901) 2191grt -> KAEO SAMUD
- PITSANULOK (1901) 2019grt -> PHAN SAMUD
- SAMSEN (1903) 1832grt -> DIN SAMUD
- TRAUTENFELS (1904) 4699grt -> YIAM SAMUD
- BANG PAKONG (1903) 455grt -> HAN THALE -> Thai Navy KUT
- CHANTA BOON (1908) 421grt -> ???? -> private JAI JERNG KHA
- MENAM (1906) 464grt -> THON THALE -> private TUNG ON
- PATRIU (1903) 455grt -> LEU THALE -> Thai Navy PHAI
- TACHEEN (1902) 400grt -> CHEN THALE -> Thai Navy KRAM